Find a Church  |  Vacancies  |  Documents  |  Directory  |  Safeguarding |  Contact 



The Property Department is responsible for the inspection, repair and maintenance, acquisition and disposal of the diocesan housing stock.

Every year we are responsible for about 285 clergy houses, carrying out 54 quinquennial inspections. The Department has completed major improvements on many parsonages and provided advice to occupiers on property-related matters.

Through an ongoing programme of improvement, the vast majority of vicarages now have loft and cavity insulation, as well as energy-efficient boilers. We strive to keep maintenance costs down, and encourage competitive tendering to achieve this. Contractors work to a Code of Practice and we monitor their work carefully.

Every effort is made to ensure our properties are kept in a good state of repair. Ongoing maintenance includes an annual gas safety inspection and quinquennial electrical inspection. The refurbishment and improvement of houses is, whenever possible, undertaken during vacancies, and is organised in conjunction with the incoming occupants and churchwardens. 

Vacancies Handbook.

Parsonages Handbook

Preventing crime at the vicarage

Quinquennial Inspection of Parsonage Houses

Who can help?

Land and Property Department

Archdeaconry Contractor Contact Numbers

Vicarage Emergency

During office hours call the Property Department at St. John's House on 0161 828 1400.

For advice on crime prevention or if there is a break-in at the vicarage, download our Crime Prevention leaflet.

In the event of an emergency out of hours, please contact:

Boiler, central heating or gas fire breakdown


Hadfield and Britain Ltd: 0800 038 5020 / 0161 338 3167 (First numbers to call)

Escalation: The landline will patch through to the on-call engineer


Craggs: 01204 697157 (First number to call)

Escalation: On-call engineer - 07766518311


Hadfield and Britain Ltd: 0800 038 5020 / 0161 338 3167 (First numbers to call)

Escalation: The landline will patch through to the on-call engineer

Gas leak

Gas Leak British Gas: 0800 111999

Power failure of electrical emergency

Electrical supply failure Norweb: 0800 195 4141

Electrical emergency repairs: Paul Hindle 07850 591415

Electrical emergency repairs: Philip Morrison 07930 888425 / 07714 578187

Intruder Alarm malfunction

Use your existing maintenance company. If none retained, call: CIA 2000 on 0161 624 8500 (First number to call which will patch through to a call centre)


Jim Perry - 07786 311 450

Mark Perry - 07590 229 736

Emergency board-up (out of office hours only)

Montrose Glass: 0800 888 6123 (freephone)


Keyfax Manchester Ltd (not 24-hour service)

During office hours: 0161 339 7500

Out of office hours:
Jason - 07801 482269
Darren - 07801 482267
Kris - 07860 271641
Jane - 07801 482271

Access Locks (24-hour call out): 07730 203005

Plumbing and Drainage

Hadfield and Britain (Domestic plumbing emergencies): 0800 038 5020 or 0161 338 3167

Escalation: The landline will patch through to the on-call engineer


Dyno-Rod Roger Little (blocked drains and domestic plumbing emergencies): 0161 429 7007

Escalation: Tia Marsden - 07871314973


Dyno-Rod Craven Services (Rossendale/Lancs blocked drains): 01254 771818 (First number to call)


Director Andy Millar - 07769 542550

Plumbing manager Michael Dempster - 07889 853360

Drainage Manager, Jamie Craven - 07515 286055  

NW Water (Water supply/leakage emergencies): 0800 330033

Roof Leaks and General Emergencies

W & W Building and Planned Maintenance Ltd: 0161 303 8016

Chris Wardle - 07732 439363

Ben Wallwork - 07843 273554

Lee Howarth Roofing - 07810 325033

Break-in, theft, malicious damage

Try to avoid touching anything and contact the police immediately. Follow their instructions and obtain a crime number. If there is damage to external doors and windows the police may advise on getting them boarded up, but contact the Property Department first at the earliest opportunity during office hours. During out-of-office hours, please call Montrose Glass for board up or Keyfax for lock replacement (see above for contact details).

As soon as possible, notify your Archdeacon, and if there is loss or damage to the contents of the property, or to motor vehicles, notify your insurance company.


Ecclesiastical Insurance Group: 01452 528533

All invoices for emergencies should be issued to Manchester Diocesan Board of Finance, Property Department, St. John's House, 155-163 The Rock, Bury, BL9 0ND

Powered by Church Edit